… Rice Krispie Treats for the PB & C lovers
Whew—what a past few weeks it’s been! I started my new life as a grown up, a working girl, a manager in training. Long gone are the days when sleep and productivity went hand in hand. When I’m not at work, or on the train going to and from work, I’m sleeping…and drinking coffee (probably far too much for my own good). It’s been over two weeks since I baked and I’m going absolutely crazy. Luckily, the pastry chefs at the JW Marriott Chicago (my new home) are beyond exceptional and I’ve been spoiled with their tasty treats. They are beautifully crafted and intricately detailed. There are times when I look at them and sigh, secretly wishing I had half the talent as the ladies and gentlemen who created them—the ones wearing the white embroidered double-breasted jackets and matching hats. I can only hope that one day, my dream of owning my own bake shop will come true. Until then, I will continue to bake my way through the trials and triumphs of life’s unexpected adventures, acquiring tastes and skills I never knew existed.
With the little time I found in my week, I wanted to whip something up that was simple, yet loaded with peanut butter and chocolate. I didn’t want to turn the oven on and break out my mixer so when I found Picky Palate’s recipe PB Cup Layered Krispie Treats, I knew it was a match made in heaven. These bars are crunchy, gooey, sticky, and sweet. I don’t think I will ever grow out of Rice Krispie Treats--especially when they are topped with Reese’s, peanut butter, and milk chocolate. Simply irresistible.
(Recipe by Picky Palate)
6 Cups rice krispie cereal
1 large bag mini marshmallows
1/4 Cup butter
2 Cups creamy peanut butter
50 mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, quartered
1 1/2 Cups melted chocolate to drizzle
(Yields 16 squares)
(1) Place cereal into a large mixing bowl, set aside
(2) Place marshmallows and butter into a large bowl and microwave until puffed up, about 3 minutes; Remove and pour into cereal, mix to combine then pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish and press to make even
(3) Melt peanut butter until nice and runny, about 45 seconds
(4) Pour in quartered peanut butter cups, stir gently then pour over treats
(5) Drizzle melted chocolate over top and refrigerate to harden; when set, cut into squares and serve!!