Proving that opposites do attract, this bold vanilla cupcake pairs oh-so-beautifully with an ultra-sweet chocolate frosting. Show your Valentine just how much they mean to you with these straight-from-the-heart cupcakes. These minis will appease all chocolate & vanilla lovers because they incorporate the best of both worlds. A moist vanilla bean cake is topped with a dollop of milk chocolate buttercream and garnished with a milk chocolate heart. Annnddd the best part of all is that they are bite size…which means you can eat more than 1 without feeling too guilty JHappy Valentine’s Day lovers, enjoy!
Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
Vanilla Cupcakes by: Bake at 350
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon table salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
½ cup sour cream
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Milk Chocolate Buttercream
Chocolate Buttercream adapted from: Brown Eyed Baker
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk chocolate chips, melted and cooled
First up, the Vanilla Bean Cupcakes
(1) Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 350° F. Line standard muffin pan with paper or foil liners
(1) Using the wire whisk attachment of an electric mixer, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, scraping the bowl if needed.
(2) Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar. Once all of the powdered sugar is incorporated, increase the speed to medium-high and add the vanilla, mixing well.
(3) Finally, add the melted chocolate and whip at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, or until all of the chocolate is well incorporated.
Use leftover chocolate chips to create quick & easy chocolate heart toppers!
(1) Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until all morsels are completed melted.
(2) Pour chocolate into pastry bag with fitted tip (or Ziploc bag) and draw (or trace) hearts onto a wax-paper lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with edible glitter or sparkles and allow time to cool and harden. (I placed my baking pan directly in the freezer to harden the chocolate faster)
(3) Once hardened, peel back wax paper to reveal homemade chocolate heart toppers! See, how easy was that?! J
Frost cupcakes as desired and garnish with edible glitter or chocolate hearts <3