Costco cookies. Cloud cookies. Crack cookies. You name it. These famous Lofthouse originals are recognizable at every social gathering I’ve ever been to. There’s always the one person who signs up to bring the dessert and shows up with a case of these bad boys—or wait, was that always just me? :/
Either way, I know I’m not the only person in this world that has a secret crush on Mr. Lofthouse. These soft pillows of sugary dough are topped off with a dreamy, creamy vanilla frosting and loaded with rainbow jimmies that get stuck in your teeth. I love ‘em. They taste just like a classic vanilla cake—soft and crumbly in all the right spots. ;)
…Recipe by: Eat Live Run
For the Cookies:
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
5 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Vanilla Frosting:
…Recipe by: Martha Stewart
4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, softened
6 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
First up, Prepare the Cookies:
(1) Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
(2) Using an electric mixer (or your hand), cream together the soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat for about three more minutes until well combined.
(3) Alternate adding the buttermilk and the flour to the mixture, starting and ending with the flour.
(4) Add the vanilla and beat on medium until everything is combined and the batter is smooth.
(7) Let cookies cool completely; meanwhile, prepare the Vanilla Frosting…
(1) Put butter in bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes.
(2) Reduce speed to medium; add sugar 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well, about 5 minutes total.
(3) Add vanilla and salt. Raise speed to medium-high; beat until smooth, about 1 minute more.